PTC’s HSASTM and MSASTM fail-safe close wellhead annulus barrier valves are the only integrity-valve solutions that delivers independent double barrier integrity. The HSASTM mitigates the risk of uncontrolled release of annular content from leaks or accidents. The product family has an excellent track record since its introduction in 2008.
Wells with planned or unplanned sustained annulus pressure (SAP) pose a considerable risk to personnel and facilities. In these situations, annulus line gate valves (a gasket, bonnet seal or stem seal) are the primary well barrier envelope elements, with no back up in case of failure.
Most O&G companies follow a double barrier well integrity management policy. In wells operated with SAP the single barrier gate valves are in breach of this policy.
Annulus line gate valves also significantly increase the ‘footprint’ of the wellhead. They require regular testing, maintenance and occasional replacement, resulting in significant life cycle costs.
The Hydraulic Surface Annulus Safety (HSASTM) valve addresses all of the challenges listed above. It is installed in the wellhead VR profile, where (in wells with SAP) it becomes an independently testable element of the primary barrier envelope.
Three options are available:
HSASTM installed in a spool upstream of the annulus line gate valve
HSAS-GTM integrated within an API gate valve
HSAS-RTM installed in a unique spool, which incorporates bleed and test ports and a means of attaching a service gate valve. This solution eliminates the need for permanently installed annulus line gate valves, thus reducing lifecycle OPEX as well.
- Hydraulically operated fail-safe close barrier valve
- Unless hydraulic pressure is applied the valve seals in both directions
- Easy pressure testing of the primary and secondary seal (and adjacent gate valve)
- Annulus venting and moderate rate gas injection application
- Retrofittable under pressure on wells with SAP
- Designed and tested to API 6A, incl. 6FD/FB fire testing
- NORSOK-D-010 compliant
- Easy installation and service, even in live wells (less OPEX)
- Interventionless and easy testing of the primary and secondary barrier elements
- Eliminates the compromise to well management policy in wells with SAP
- Eliminates the need for Gate Valve(s) and associated maintenance and testing (HSAS-RTM)
- No well bay piping modification required (HSAS-GTM)
- Reduces the annulus line valve footprint
- No need to equalize before opening
In cases where the SAP is being bled off to the production flowline, the HSAS acts as a non-return valve
For specifications please see relevant product flyer.